Sunday, January 10, 2010

Our first trip to the ER...

All I wanted was to take a quick shower by myself...was that really too much to ask? I put one of Lizzy's shows on and ran upstairs to shower quickly. When I came back down, wrapped in a towel to check on her, she had moved a chair over to the cupboard where I keep the medicine in the kitchen and emptied an entire bottle of Claritin on the counter! She had also poured olive oil all over the top of the pills. And if that wasn't enough, she had the sunscreen out and was putting lotion on her legs. Did I mention that she wasn't wearing any pants? That was because she had peed all over the bathroom floor and left her pants and underpants there by the toilet. I asked her if she had eaten any of the pills, and she said she had, so while she sat in time out, I cleaned up the bathroom and kitchen while talking on the phone to the doctor and poison control. Poison control advised a trip to the emergency room, so that is where we went. I was torn between being angry (with Lizzy and with myself) and being worried. All went well
at the hospital (which Lizzy pronounced "hosmiddle"). Lizzy was given this lovely charcoal drink and then we waited to see if there would be any effect from the Claritin. Lucky for us, there were no side effects and the doctor remarked that she doubted Lizzy had swallowed even one pill. So four hours and one or two gray hairs later, Lizzy was released and I was able to take her home. And the most amazing part, after almost 12 years and three boys, it was my sweet little girl that was the first of my children that I had to take to the emergency room!

No comments:

Post a Comment