Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Final Curtain...



There is a door that reads "Performers Only". Since I was a little girl, I wanted to be able to walk through that door. And happily, dreams do come true...


For the last 5 months I have spent spare time, time that I never realized was "spare", learning notes and lines and movement, cackling, crouching, poking, and yelling, and loving every minute, as I prepared my "witch" for the musical "Into the Woods". What a marvelous experience, one that I can now cross off my bucket list.


Last night, closing night, was filled with excitement, and lined with sorrow. As each song was sung, my heart cheered and broke in the same moment. Into the Woods, our Into the Woods has been called one of the finest shows that SVCT (our local community theater company) has ever done. It was a privelege to be a part of...and I will miss not only the stage, but the fine friends I made there.


Me as the "ugly" witch, singing to my stolen daughter, Rapunzel




After the witch regains her beauty, but loses her powers, and then loses her Rapunzel as well, she sings the Witch's Lament.




Shhhhh....It's the last midnight...the witch is fed up with the people around her and begs her mother to take her back (to where I don't know!)




The finale where the witch sings a beautiful song..."Careful the things you say, children will listen..."


As I read through this post I see how sappy I sound, so forgive my sentimentality. There will be another show, another year...and in the meantime it is nice to rediscover the time that I didn't know I had before!

3 comments:

  1. Tami, I never had a dream as a child to walk through that door ... but I'm glad that I finally made that move as an adult. I was so happy to finally get to share some time on stage with such a beautiful and talented woman. Your sentimentality is excused -- this was indeed a special show. - Larry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Larry, it was a special show. I too am glad that you found the theater door, because through it, I have found a dear friend...a friend to share a twinkie with. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So impressive Tami! Your talent on the stage is amazing!

    ReplyDelete